Customizing default Notification text

edited August 2015 in General Help

How do i customize the default email notification text content to make it short so that user can read easily what is the message they have received from board

Comments

• x00
    edited September 2015

For phpBB

The folder

forum/ext/replyPUSH/replybyemail/language/en/replybyemail

You should be able to copy it to your language file in

forum/language

You wan to keep most of the item in brackets like {RP_EMAIL_SIG}, {TOPIC_TITLE}, {SUBJECT_ID}, etc for it to work. The values in

forum/ext/replyPUSH/replybyemail/language/en/main.php

can be added to a language file in you language.

• I am currently using vanilla forums. How do i customize the notification text? I cannot find the files you are talking about.

• x00
    edited September 2015

For Vanilla

copy plugins/ReplyByEmail/locale/en-CA/definitions.php to conf/locale.php apart from "do not edit bellow (used for reference)" ones.

Modify.

If locale.php already exists then you append just the definitions.

• edited September 2015

Thanks, I got the message customized. What is the proper locale to include a line in the reply that says

<-- Please reply above this line. -->

I could not find anything in definitions.php that would give me any idea on how to do it.

Thanks for the help.

• x00
    edited September 2015

You can't control what the email client does they work in different ways there is no standard for that, it can put any text it like above any quoted message, and usually put some reference text, names, dates, etc. You can't actually tell a client put any text above this when they recipient click replies, so it will always be bellow this blurb.

As long as you understand, and crucially your user understand this then for each message type definition simply append &lt;-- Please reply above this line. --&gt;<br>

note the special characters, that is becuase the message is html, so it needs to be valid HTML.

e.g.

$Definition['ReplyByEmail.Msg.Comment'] = '&lt;-- Please reply above this line. --&gt;<br>{Headline}

<blockquote>{Content}</blockquote>

<p>You can check it out <a href="{Link}">here</a></p>
    <br>
    <p>Have a great day!</p>';

but for each of these ReplyByEmail.Msg.* definitions.

• This might be a bit clearer

$Definition['ReplyByEmail.Msg.Comment'] = '&lt;-- Please reply above this line. --&gt;<br>{Headline}

<blockquote>{Content}</blockquote>

<p>You can check it out <a href="{Link}">here</a></p>
    <br>
    <p>Have a great day!</p>';

• Tried putting this in locale.php, now forum does not load. $Definition['ReplyByEmail.Msg.Comment'] = '&lt;-- Please reply above this line. --&gt;<br>{Headline}

• edited September 2015

OK, fixed that problem. Now the line appears under the reply information. I know it is possible to make the line appear above the signature, i just don't know how to do it. Anymore suggestions?

What do you mean by this? but for each of these ReplyByEmail.Msg.* definitions.

• Under what reply information?

• From: mail@domain.com Sent: Sunday September 13th. To: email@domain.com Subject: Hello

<-- Please type your reply above this line.-->

That is what it looks like in all mail clients. Is there anyway to move that line before all that info?

• x00
    edited September 2015

No it is not possible, the email client does that you have no way of controlling that. You say you have seen it before but this is not likely, different email clients add different things anyway, there are many styles of framing a quoted message. Framing being the operative word and this is not up to the sender.

I suggest you change the language to suit.

I have seen stuff like

To update your support case, please reply to this email and include your message at the top.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On technical support sites.

• OK, thanks for your help. I will change the message.

Login In or Sign Up to comment.